Saturday, October 27, 2018

TESL 0100 Unit 4 "aha" moment

My "aha" moment in this unit was going through the popular ideas about the language learning in Lightbown & Spada (2013, p. 202). After reading it, my opinion completely changed on two points. 

First is point 10 "Teachers should present grammatical rules one at a time, and learners should practice examples of each one before going on to another". Earlier I totally agreed with this point as I thought it would be confusing for learners if different grammar rules are being introduced to them at once. However, my opinion completely changed. I learned that the best practice would be to present a comprehensible and interesting variety of sentences and grammatical structures so that whatever learners are ready to acquire is there all the time.

The second is point 11 "Teachers should teach simple language structures before complex ones". I realised that learner's exposure to a variety of linguistic structures should not be restricted and teacher should ensure that learners get the opportunity to hear all types of sentence forms, simple or complex, to help them understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment