Friday, September 28, 2018

TESL 0100 Unit 2 Reflections

(Source: http://www.goodnewspilipinas.com/cultural-differences-affect-business/ )

For this unit, I read Chapter 6 &7 of Teaching by Principles: An Interactive Approach to Language Pedagogy. I learned that I may encounter different types of people in my class as an ESL teacher, they can come from different background, can belong to different age group age, can possess different ability and proficiency. They might have different learning strategies or no strategy at all. Each learner will be different and will have different need and goal so one method of teaching or lesson plan cannot be effective for everyone.

A teacher needs to formulate a different approach for teaching beginners, intermediate and advanced level students. This is true while teaching learners of different age as well. These variables should be considered while organizing a lesson, using techniques and activities and supporting material.

While going through this unit, I also learned about different types of English language courses offered in different parts of the world, some of which I never heard of. Also, I created a needs assessment activity for the first day of the class. The next step was to create Learner Personas which I did by collaborating with my classmate, Farideh.


Overall, I really enjoyed this unit.

References

H. Brown, H. L. (2015). Teaching by Principles: An Interactive Approach to Language Pedagogy. White Plains, NY: Pearson Education, Inc. .

No comments:

Post a Comment