Wednesday, July 17, 2019

TESL 0170: Teaching Reflection: Lesson 4

I delivered the final lesson on July 15 and this was only for one and half hour. Though I stayed in the class for the whole 3 hours and I and class teacher taught the class together and I got to learn from him again.

I started the lesson again by introducing the plan of the day on the board and checking homework. It took like 30 minutes to check homework as it was the reading exercise and students had a lot of questions about it. In my lesson plan, I only assigned 10 minutes for this. So, I got a bit nervous about timing but was able to manage well. I changed the plan and covered the grammar exercise until break which went really well. After the break, class teacher and I decided that students will practice the highlighting and annotating while doing a reading lesson. What we did was taking printouts for the reading paragraphs, divided the class into 4 groups and gave 3 paragraphs to each group. Then, we asked the class to highlight and annotate the paragraph and told them that later on, every student will need to explain their part to the other groups. After they were done, we changed the groups and formed new groups with the students with different paragraphs. Now, we asked the students to explain their part one by one and get the main idea of the reading. Students did it really well. It helped their understanding and ability to explain it to others.

One thing I would like to change with this lesson plan would be the way I checked the homework. As the class teacher explained that with the reading exercises, it is always a good idea if the students check the answers in groups and then if they have any doubts, they can always ask the teacher. It takes less time and is more effective than just us providing answers.

Here is the link to lesson 4:

No comments:

Post a Comment